Bibek Katwal sentenced over Bengal kitten’s brutal death in Bronte

Disturbing details about a tradie’s shocking alcohol-fueled attack on his boss’ pet kitten have been revealed in a Sydney court.

A Sydney tradie who bashed his boss’ 12-week-old kitten to death during a savage alcohol-fueled attack has narrowly avoided a stint behind bars.

Details of Bibek Katwal’s shocking random killing of the Bengal kitten named Brock can now be revealed for the first time after he pleaded guilty to a charge of recklessly beating and killing an animal.

According to court documents, the 26-year-old had been drinking with his boss and workmates at their Christmas party at the Clock Hotel in Surry Hills on December 20, 2020 before the attack took place.

After a four hour drinking session, Katwal caught an Uber with a colleague and his boss to the boss’ Palmerston Ave unit in Bronte.

Shortly afterwards, Katwal’s boss realized he left a phone in the Uber and he waited outside the unit with his girlfriend at the time who left Katwal alone inside with the kitten for two minutes.

A group of other men arrived at the unit and when they approached the front door, court documents state Katwal walked outside holding the bleeding kitten by the back of its neck.

“You killed the cat,” one of the men said to Katwal.

According to court documents, Katwal said “it was already dead” before he lifted the kitten over his head and threw it to the ground.

The kitten, which was believed to be dead before it was brought outside the unit, was later picked up a second time by Katwal and thrown into a brick wall.

When another man said “what the f *** is wrong with you” to Katwal, he responded by saying “it’s alright”.

Afterwards, Katwal’s boss and his girlfriend took the kitten’s battered body to a vet in Rosebery who unsuccessfully spent 10 minutes trying to resuscitate the lifeless pet.

When police initially spoke to Katwal about the incident, he denied any knowledge of a kitten and was unable to answer any questions due to his level of intoxication.

The night after the incident police arrested Katwal while he was sleeping in a room at the Wake Up hostel on Pitt Street.

He claimed he had a lot to drink and could not recall the incident, court documents state.

Katwal appeared this month in Sydney’s Downing Center Local Court, where he was convicted and sentenced by Magistrate Miranda Moody to an 18-month term of imprisonment which will be served in the community in the form of an intensive corrections order.

Katwal was also slapped with a $ 2200 fine, 18-month booze ban and 10-year ban on the possession of any animal.

Read related topics:Sydney

Leave a Comment