HARTFORD, Connecticut – About 100 bags of fentanyl were found in the home of a 13-year-old Hartford boy who overdosed on the drug at school, police said.
Fentanyl found in the teenager’s home was packed in the same way as the bags of fentanyl found at his school after he overdosed and had the same identification stamp, Hartford police said in a press release Tuesday after a search of the home.
“We can safely say that the fentanyl that caused the overdose was the same fentanyl that was located in the youngster’s bedroom,” police said. “At present, we have not found evidence that anyone other than the deceased youth brought the fentanyl to school.”
DEATHS IN OVERDOSAGE OF DRUGS, USED BY FENTANYL, HAVE A RECORD HIGH IN US
The young man, whose name was not released, died Jan. 15, two days after collapsing at Hartford’s Sport and Medical Sciences Academy. Two more students recovered after apparently being exposed to fentanyl and becoming ill.
Police searched the school after the student overdosed and found nearly 40 bags of fentanyl in various locations, authorities said.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Investigators investigating how the teen got the drug have identified a person of interest, police said. No arrests have been made.
The teenager’s death led to renewed calls for schools to store the opioid antidote naloxone, as well as for training in how to recognize and respond to overdoses.