DEVELOPMENT HISTORYDEVELOPMENT HISTORY,
The attacker opened fire with a shotgun and then fled the scene.
A Ukrainian National Guard soldier opened fire on security guards at a military plant in central Ukraine for unknown reasons, killing five people and wounding five others before fleeing.
The incident took place in the early hours of Thursday in Dnipro at the Pivdenmash missile factory (Yuzhny Machine-Building Plant Yuzhmash), when weapons were issued to the guards at the start of a shift, a police statement said.
The attacker opened fire with a Kalashnikov rifle and subsequently fled the scene, the Interior Ministry said, adding: “As a result, five people died and another five were injured.”
Police are looking for the fugitive soldier. According to police, he has 200 cartridges with ammunition in his possession.
The incident took place at. 03:40 (01:40 GMT) when the shooter was handed a weapon at the beginning of his shift, the ministry said.
“The motives for the crime are not yet known,” it said, adding that a head of the National Guard, Nikolai Balan, had been sent to the scene.
What was the motive?
Yuzhmash is a space factory that produces and tests materials related to defense, aviation and agriculture, according to its website.
“First of all, the investigation will face the question – what was the motive for committing such a horrific crime? Whether the soldier faced psychological pressure on the team will be investigated, “said Vice President of Ukraine Ukraine Interior Minister Anton Gerashchenko on Facebook.
He said investigators would investigate how the soldier, Artem Ryabchuk, passed a medical commission that gave him access to weapons.
“In any case, he will suffer the most severe punishment for the massacre. “Now the most important thing is to find and detain Artem Ryabchuk as soon as possible before he has time to commit new crimes,” Gerashchenko said.
The attack comes at a sensitive time for Ukraine’s military. The Russian military has assembled troops near the country’s border with Ukraine, and NATO members have accused Russia of planning an invasion of the country.
Moscow, meanwhile, denies the allegations and seeks security guarantees that NATO will halt its enlargement to the east to former Soviet republics.
The United States and NATO have held a series of talks with Russian officials over the past few weeks, but negotiations have so far failed to end the crisis. Another round of negotiations is to take place in Berlin, Germany, in two weeks.