Man in South Canberra remanded in custody on eight new charges, including rape Canberra Times

news, crime,

An alleged serial killer is back behind bars after being charged with a new series of historic crimes that include rape. The man from southern Canberra, who is in his 30s and cannot be named for legal reasons, received bail earlier this month for 24 charges. These allegations, which he denies, relate to allegations that he sexually or otherwise abused three then-partners between 2012 and 2021. However, the defendant’s conditional release did not last long because he was arrested again and brought before the ACT Magistrates Court in a singlet on Friday. Through his attorney, Sarah Boxall, the man pleaded not guilty to eight new charges relating to a fourth alleged victim. Recent charges include participation in sexual intercourse without consent and intentional infliction of serious bodily harm. MORE NEWS ABOUT LAW AND CRIMINALITY: There are also two issues about each causing serious bodily harm, unlawful confinement and common assault. The man, who appeared via audiovisual link from a remote room, remained silent as Special Judge Jane Campbell read each of the new charges, which date back to 2011 and 2012. His relationship with the fourth alleged victim was not disclosed in court. Mrs Boxall did not apply to have the man released again on Friday, but she indicated he would seek conditional release next week. Mrs Campbell therefore remanded the accused in custody until then. Court documents, which were filed on an earlier occasion in connection with the previous charges, describe a number of graphic allegations. These include allegations that the man waterboarded his first alleged victim while pinning her to the floor in their bedroom. In another incident, he allegedly hit this woman at least 20 times and said to her, “I hope you can never have children” through what police describe as a “prolonged attack.” The man is also accused, among other things, of having raped the woman twice. One of the other women’s worrying allegations includes that the defendant slapped her down on the concrete floor of a garage while she was putting so much force on her neck and throat that her attempt to scream produced only “a gurgling sound”. The last of the original trio to contact police told officers that last year the man had forcibly thrown her into the ground next to a road and caused her head to hit a hard object that could have been a tree root . In addition to his bail application next week, the defendant also has an upcoming court date in March. Our journalists work hard to deliver local, up-to-date news to the community. Here’s how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/fdcx/doc74314p8ctvmmu1w3gr.jpg/r3_278_4998_3100_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SUBSCRIBE

Leave a Comment