Officials believe homemade devices were detonated in the vehicles.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on charges of two potentially related cases of “suspicious explosions” in unoccupied vehicles in California’s capital, authorities said.
Sacramento police officials identified the suspect as Cody Wiggs, who was detained without bail Monday morning in Sacramento County Jail, according to online jail records. Wiggs was arrested late Saturday night and arrested in jail for two crimes of malicious or reckless possession of an explosive in public, which is a crime according to online records.
He also faces a misdemeanor charge for carrying a hidden dirk or dagger, records show.
Investigators seized two active pipe bombs along with additional unknown evidence linking Wiggs to a pipe bomb detonated in a residential area.
Police first responded to a report of an explosion Sunday, Jan. 23, around 6 p.m. 21:45 and “located an unmanned vehicle with significant damage in accordance with an explosion that took place inside the vehicle,” officials said in a statement.
A few days later, at 18:00 on Friday 28 January, officers again responded to a call regarding an explosion and found a similarly damaged vehicle.
“Based on evidence found during the investigation, officers believe a homemade explosive was detonated inside the vehicle,” police said in a statement. “The circumstances of both incidents are the same.”
The two explosions took place within half a mile of each other in the Oak Park area of Sacramento.
Police determined that no one was injured in any of the episodes.
Wiggs came under suspicion when police were conducting a follow-up investigation into the January 28 car bombing in the Oak Park neighborhood of southeastern Sacramento. After searching the neighborhood for witnesses, seeing surveillance footage and conducting a search warrant, investigators determined that Wiggs allegedly detonated the homemade explosive, police said in a statement.
The investigation into the car bombings continues, and the Sacramento Police Department said it urges anyone with information or knowledge of other similar incidents to contact investigators.
The arrest comes about six months after the Department of Justice dropped the charge against two California men who allegedly conspired to blow up the Sacramento Democratic headquarters. When investigators searched one of the men’s houses last year, he allegedly had five live tube bombs and between 45 and 50 firearms.
ABC News’ Matthew Fuhrman contributed to this report.